- Imprint: Summersdale
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 240
- Price: £9.99
- Publication date: 5 September 2012
- ISBN: 9781849533096
About the book
Brilliant Britain is an entertaining journey through the quirks, oddities and idiosyncrasies that define our nation and preserve us from the mundane and predictable, such as:
• the royal pomp and pageantry of the State Opening of Parliament and the less well-known swan-upping;
• unusual sports and pastimes, from bog snorkelling to worm charming;
• annual countrywide events including the May Day festivities and the beating of the bounds;
• dialects and slang, provincial foods and a recipe for the perfect chip butty.
This book lifts the lid on a rich heritage of eccentricity and diversity, exploring all that makes Britain brilliant.
'Eccentric look at Britain captures mood of national pride'
'As exemplified during the opening ceremony of the London Olympics, the British are nothing if not quirky. If you're curious as to what's behind this national mentality, then Brilliant Britain will more than likely hold the answer. With an unparalleled assessment of bizarre British traditions and what it takes to make the perfect Chip butty, then the DNA of Britain is most certainly explained within these pages. My favourite part has to be the section on what it takes to become a champion bog snorkeller.'
St Christopher's Live Your Life e-zine
'Jane Peyton's punchy guide to the nation's craziest customs… Peyton's book, packed with entertaining snippets about events, languages, recipes and festivities that define our nation will make you proud to be British.'
The Daily Mail
'it's an eclectic and entertaining compendium that is genuinely informative and reliably amusing, useful for natives and visitors alike.'
The Good Book Guide