Your Guide to Understanding and Dealing with Type 2 Diabetes
What You Need to Know
- Imprint: Vie
- Format: Paperback
- Pages: 224
- Price: £8.99
- Publication date: 11 June 2015
- ISBN: 9781849535427
About the book
There are currently over 3.2 million people with diabetes in the UK, or 6 per cent of the adult population, and 85–90 per cent of these sufferers have type 2.
Diabetes mellitus is a disorder where the body doesn’t produce enough insulin, or doesn’t react properly to the insulin it produces, causing a build-up of glucose in the blood. Type 2 diabetes often smoulders on for a long time before it is recognised and diagnosed – it is believed that there are hundreds of thousands of undiagnosed cases in the UK.
This book gives the basic information needed to understand what type 2 diabetes is, how to recognise it, and, most essentially, how to manage it, including details on:
- The symptoms of type 2 diabetes
- Risk factors for type 2 diabetes and how to reduce those risks
- The various medicinal treatments and support available
- Changes to daily routines, diet, exercise and attitude that can improve life with type 2 diabetes.