Working for Summersdale
Junior Designer/Designer (1 year FTC)
What you’ll be doing
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented, enthusiastic and organised designer to join our busy team at our offices in Chichester for a period of 12 months. This is the ideal role for someone looking to progress and build up their skills working across a broad range of genres, in a stimulating, fast-paced environment.
You will be facilitating the design and production of a set number of Summersdale titles, while working with the Editorial team to ensure books go to print on schedule, and error free. You will ideally have design experience, particularly in publishing, but we may consider a talented graduate, willing and able to learn quickly.
- Assisting with and creating designs for book covers, internal pages and sales and publicity materials (including posters, flyers, badges, etc.)
- Typesetting sample pages
- Implementing editorial corrections from marked proofs
- Preparing and processing digital artwork and photographs for print
- Creating print-ready pdfs
- Prioritising project workloads, in concert with editors, freelance designers and sales and publicity teams
- Preparing and supplying briefs and files for freelance typesetters (using parent pages and paragraph/character styles in InDesign), checking the quality of freelance work returned and providing feedback to them where necessary
- Performing pre-flight checks to in-house parameters, sending files (including advance covers and book files) to print and checking proofs from printers
- Creating, sending and checking reprint files/proofs
Who we are looking for
You will be highly organized with the ability to prioritise, work under pressure, and to tight deadlines. You must have a flexible proactive approach with excellent time management skills and be a strong communicator. You will have a clear passion for design and a keen eye for cover and layout design, as well as typographic detail, and be able to adapt your design skills to the wide-ranging demands of the role.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat
- Familiar with Microsoft Office software, including Word and Outlook
- Effective time management and organisational skills
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 community days per year, many employee networks to join, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role can be based at our Chichester office, with a blend of in-office (4 days) and homeworking (1 days) per week.
Who we are and what we do
Summersdale is a vibrant, award-winning publisher that provides entertaining, informative and innovative content in the genres of general non-fiction, health and well-being, and gift and humour. We produce a diverse range of over 130 titles per year, with a backlist of over 800 titles.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org
Salary: £22,000 – £26,000, dependent on experience (+bonus + benefits)
Closing Date: 20 October, 2022